Wax Tech Resources
Fluoro-free Rule for all Nordiq Canada Sanctioned Races
The Nordiq Canada fluoro policy for the 2021-22 season will see a full fluoro ban applied for all Nordiq Canada sanctioned events, except for those events that also have a FIS sanction. However, fluorinated kick wax will be exempt from the fluoro ban policy.
What does the ban include?
The fluoro-free rule applies to all Tier 2 level competitions (e.g., provincial cups, provincial champs). This means that:
- High Fluoro (HF), Medium Fluoro (MF) or Low Fluoro (LF) glide waxes, including HF, MF or LF powders, pucks, blocks and liquids are NOT permitted
- Cold-weather powder additives and hardeners containing fluoros are NOT permitted
- Fluorinated grip powders are NOT permitted
Exemptions from the ban
- FIS sanctioned competitions (Tier 1 – NorAm, FIS Regional Cup, Canada Cup and Canadian Ski Championships)
- All kick wax, specifically hard wax and klister
- At competitions where Tier 1 and Tier 2 level races take place at the same time the policy would apply to all U18 and below age categories that are not sanctioned by FIS
- At competitions where categories are combined for seeding purposes the policy guidelines would align with the highest category in the combined class
- The program would be self-governed by all coaches, technicians, parents and athletes
- Assigned Technical Delegates will not be responsible for enforcing the Fluoro Policy
Consequences result in athlete disqualification.
How to clean
To ensure skis and equipment are properly cleaned of fluorinated products or residue, please follow the FIS recommendations.
Where can I find Fluoro-free products?
You are responsible for ensuring you are using fluoro-free products. If you aren’t sure if a product contains fluoros, we recommend you err on the side of caution and not use the product. Many of these wax distributors have fluoro-free categories on their sites and are ready to answer your questions.