Wax Tech Resources
Fluoro-free Rule for all Nordiq Canada Sanctioned Races
The Nordiq Canada fluoro policy for the 2020-21 season will see a full fluoro ban applied for all Nordiq Canada sanctioned events, except for those events that also have a FIS sanction. However, fluorinated kick wax will be exempt from the fluoro ban policy.
What does the ban include?
The fluoro-free rule applies to all Tier 2 level competitions (e.g., provincial cups, provincial champs). This means that:
- High Fluoro (HF), Medium Fluoro (MF) or Low Fluoro (LF) glide waxes, including HF, MF or LF powders, pucks, blocks and liquids are NOT permitted
- Cold-weather powder additives and hardeners containing fluoros are NOT permitted
- Fluorinated grip powders are NOT permitted
Exemptions from the ban
- FIS sanctioned competitions (Tier 1 – NorAm, FIS Regional Cup, Canada Cup and Canadian Ski Championships)
- All kick wax, specifically hard wax and klister
Consequences for a positive test result
Athletes who are found to have raced with fluoronated wax risk disqualification. Nordiq Canada plans to have testing devices on site at some competitions. The primary focus of the testing devices will be awareness and education to prepare for the complete ban at all levels in 2021-2022.
North American commitment
Nordiq Canada is proud to be part of a North American fluoro-free alliance.
How to clean
To ensure skis and equipment are properly cleaned of fluorinated products or residue, please follow the FIS recommendations.
Where can I find Fluoro-free products?
You are responsible for ensuring you are using fluoro-free products. If you aren’t sure if a product contains fluoros, we recommend you err on the side of caution and not use the product. Many of these wax distributors have fluoro-free categories on their sites and are ready to answer your questions.