Wax Tech Resources
Fluoro-free Rule for all Nordiq Canada Sanctioned Races
The Nordiq Canada Fluoro Free rule for the 2021-22 season will see a full fluoro ban applied for all Nordiq Canada sanctioned events, except for Tier 1 FIS sanction events.
- At the December 2018 Nordiq Canada Board meeting the Board asked the CEO to review a policy to eliminate the use of fluoro waxes for Tier 2 events. In September 2021 the policy was reviewed by the Nordiq Canada Waxing staff, High-Performance staff, and was accepted.
- Nordiq Canada Revised the Nordiq Canada Competition Registration and Sanctioning Policy (2.2.1) to include the provision that in all Tier 2 sanctioned events all fluoro glide and grip powders are NOT PERMITTED. Further, the recommendation would extend to include all junior aged, non-FIS categories in Tier 1 sanctioned events.
What does the ban include?
For all Tier 2 races (Provincial Cups, Provincial Champs, Nordiq Canada sanctioned events) the Nordiq Canada Fluoro policy would apply. This means:
- High Fluoro (HF), Medium Fluoro (MF), or Low Fluoro (LF) glide waxes, including HF, MF, or LF powders, pucks, blocks and liquids are NOT PERMITTED
- Cold weather powder additives and hardeners are NOT PERMITTED
- Fluoro grip powders are NOT PERMITTED
- At competitions where Tier 1 and Tier 2 level races take place at the same time, the policy guidelines would align with the highest category in the combined class.
- At competitions where categories are combined for seeding purposes, the policy guidelines would align with the highest category in the combined class.
- The program will be self-governed and enforced by all coaches, technicians, organizing committee’s, parents, and athletes
- Assigned Technical Delegates will not be responsible for enforcing the Fluoro Policy
Consequences result in athlete disqualification.
- Tier 1 FIS sanctioned competitions (NorAm, FIS Regional Cup, Canada Cup, Nordiq Cup, and Canadian Ski Championships).
- All Kick wax.
How to clean
To ensure skis and equipment are properly cleaned of fluorinated products or residue, please follow the FIS recommendations.
Where can I find Fluoro-free products?
You are responsible for ensuring you are using fluoro-free products. If you aren’t sure if a product contains fluoros, we recommend you err on the side of caution and not use the product. Many of these wax distributors have fluoro-free categories on their sites and are ready to answer your questions.